Pages

Wednesday 1 October 2014

FINAL YEARS OF SERVICE IN ENGLAND


Soon, it was time to return to Blighty and we were told to crate all our equipment, including our khaki drills as we would be flying home from RAF Fayed.  However fate intervened and our places were taken by some wounded soldiers.  We were sent all the way down the Sudan to Eritrea where we handed in our guns to the army and moved on to Asmara in transit to Port Masawa for the arriving troop ship.

One day two of the lads and I went into town and I suggested a drink but they pointed to a sign saying the place was for Officers only.  But we were in civvies so who would know?  We were just enjoying a beer when two MPs came in, swinging their batons.  I told the lads to keep mum and as the MPs came near I shouted:

“Garcon!  Trois bieres,s’il vous plait!”

“Bloody Froggies!” one of them said and went to the next table.

We were taken to Port Masawa to board the troop ship and we boarded under loud cheers from the blokes already on board; presumably they had come from Aden.  Whilst we were under way, it was announced that the King had died.

All went well on the journey until we entered the Suez Canal.  There seemed to be some problem as the doctor would not medically clear the ship and the pilot would not come aboard.  Without him we could not pass through the canal and so some of the ship’s Officers went ashore and must have persuaded them to co-operate.  As we went through the Bitter Lakes it became clear that there was a problem; probably with Egypt, Britain and France as a lot of ships were at anchor in the Lakes, unable to proceed.

We were also refused permission to take on water and so we had to wash in salt water with special soap until we reached Malta.  We docked at Malta under the cheers from local girls who were hanging out of their windows.  We were allowed ashore and I went into Valletta and had a haircut for a shilling (5p).

We had an easy journey and the Irish Sea was as flat as a pancake.  We were destined for Liverpool and disembarkation took a long time due to immigration clearance, railway warrants to be issued and telegrams to be sent to families to tell them when we would arrive.  In my case this was at Euston Station.

My pen pal Olive, and her father were waiting for me;  this was lucky as I would have nowhere to go except the Union Jack Club.  We arrived in West Ealing where Olive’s mum had the Union Jack hanging out of the window.  She was a lovely lady (later to become my Mother-in-Law)   They only had a small flat but they managed to put me up whilst I was on leave.  That went by very quickly as I was posted to RAF Debden near Saffron Walden, Essex.
On leave before last posting to
RAF Debden, Essex, 1952
There were many young Pilot Officers and we were told not to salute them, just Officers carrying higher ranks.  It was quite funny really because many of them came into my workshop and saluted me, probably because of the dust coat I was wearing.

I liked Debden with its tree lined roads and I could, more or less, do what I wanted; nobody interfered with my daily work, I just got on with it.  I liked it even more when I got promoted to corporal; I had a lovely room with parquet flooring and central heating and the buildings were all brick – a far cry from those wooden huts I had been used to.

I had a roomy workshop which I shared with my mate Fred whom I had known from previous postings but we had a little problem when he refused to obey an order and I had to put him on a charge.  He was in the wrong but he wouldn’t speak to me for a long time.  Discipline could be a problem, one day giving the lads rifle drill on the airfield I had trouble with a young conscript.  When I gave the order to fall in and return the rifles to the armoury, he threw it down and said:

“You take it back.”

Discipline was at stake, in front of all the other lads, and I had to put him on a charge.  On the Monday, I was called to see the Group Captain and he asked me to withdraw the charge as the boy’s father was an MP and had requested it.  I refused because my authority would go to rock bottom and so the boy was posted to another station to complete his National Service.

My Wing Commander was a super guy and as long as I carried out all my jobs, he would just let me get on with things.  One day I had a request from the boss to make a wrought iron fire tidy for the Officers’ Mess.  All I had to do was buy a little brush.  I bought several and, having made one, I got orders from other Officers so I made a bit of money on the side.

I also collected the empty 5 gallon oil drums, cut off the ends, flattened and stored them until the young Officers with old cars needed a silencer repairing or a running board strengthening.  More beer money for the NAAFI!  I also did a good trade in mottled copper kettles, brass coal scuttles, sailing boat table lamps, wishing wells and turned wooden fruit bowls – all very profitable and enjoyable.

On a more official level, the Wing Commander would come in and say that he had a job that even I couldn’t do (he knew I liked a challenge).  We had a luxury fitted ambulance to be used only in case the Duke of Edinburgh crashed during his flying lessons.  However, a motor transport driver used it to take an urgent case to Ely Hospital but he drove under a low bridge and smashed in the whole roof including the ventilators.

There were no drawings to make the air ventilators, so he arranged for Fred and I to be flown to RAF Benson, in Oxfordshire, to make drawings of their ambulance.  I had to cut away the whole of the roof and make a new one.  I had to fit the air ventilators and rivet the whole thing back in place; not an easy job, I must admit, and every day the Wing Commander would ask me how it was going

Between the roof and the inner lining was a lot of glass wool (very itchy stuff to work with) and then there was a load of sealant and red oxide paint to apply.  I sprayed the roof Air Force blue and painted on the Red Cross logo – job done!  An A.I.S. inspector came to pass the job and he was mildly surprised to find it as good as new.  I was quite chuffed and the Wing Commander was very happy.

Of course there were very serious jobs to be done.  One weekend in 1953, when I stayed in camp, I was awoken by the sirens going hell for leather at 5am and the loudspeakers ordered us to parade on the Camp square.  I thought it was World War 3 but we were ordered to kit up with rubber boots, warm clothing and spades.

We were taken to the Essex coast and, to our horror, we saw enormous breaks in the sea defences.  We saw dead cattle floating in the flooded meadows and we were ordered to fill those breaks in the sea wall.  It was a very big job but there were thousands of Army, Navy and Air Force personnel to deal with this task.  This was known as Operation King Canute

Civilians and Military rebuilding sea defences, Essex 1953
The weather was terrible and very cold; the first day we only had half a cup of tea and half a sandwich and we spent the night on the concrete floor of the village hall at Southminster.  The next day a naval Officer came in with a boat and handed out rum, which was more than welcome.
More rebuilding work on the sea wall, Essex 1953
In Holland the floods were very bad and several thousand people lost their lives.  I was very glad to return to Debden after two weeks of very hard work and soak in a hot bath.  After that I did two more weeks on the coastal defences.

Some of the worst things we had to deal with were the air crashes.  A Canberra nose dived into the ground on a playing field in Bishops Stortford.  Coming down at very high speed, it had just disintegrated and buried itself into the ground.  We had to camp out on a very cold night to guard the scene and, in the morning, we had the traumatic job of digging to find any human remains.  We did manage to find some remains of these poor devils.  The crew were P/O John Leonard Hoyle (pilot) and F/O Michael Harry Webber (navigator).  The aircraft had taken off from RAF Bassingbourn in Cambridgeshire on 11th January 1954 and had trouble starting one of the engines but the cause of the crash was unknown.

Just over a year earlier, we had been preparing for a Battle of Britain open day when two of our Avro Ansons collided.  The pilots, F/Lt Jarvis and F/Lt Sheriff, were both killed but the show had to go on. We had Lincolns doing bombing runs and ground crews blowing up explosives to entertain the crowd which included my pen pal and her parents.

In 1955, I was interviewed by a career officer who offered me another four years as I was about to be promoted to sergeant.  However, I decided to leave the RAF and take up a civilian job.  I went to RAF Kenley to sign on for my four years on the reserve and to collect my demob suit and left the RAF in May 1955.  Because of my qualifications and experience I had a job with British European Airways (now part of British Airways) even though I had no home to go to.
The Wing Commander's Final Reference



Another tribute for services rendered

No comments:

Post a Comment