Pages

Thursday 25 September 2014

INTERESTING PEOPLE

Egbert Hughes - Gouda, Holland - May 2014

During the course of my blogging about WW2 I have come across many people whose own stories are every bit as fascinating as the people I write about but don't qualify to be included in my blog because they were never members of 304 Squadron.  This was a Polish Squadron that caught my attention because one of their bombers crashed close to the house where I was born.
My first subject married the widow of one of the Polish pilots I wrote about and he gave me so much help, documentation and advice about one of my own characters, that his story got pushed to one side but simmered on the back burner until I began to realise just what a fascinating story it was.
There have been others like him and they will make up the entire contents of this blog, which I hope will slowly build up to be as successful as my other one.  Meanwhile, the story of Egbert Hughes will build up here.
At 87 years old (soon to be 88) he looks like everyone's favourite uncle.  But he has had a lifetime of experience that most of us will never know.  It would be a shame not to tell his story.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment